idea: SIGDIRCH, ftpd, efs

(I don't mean to 'spam' you, but want to reach everyone. Sorry if this
is starting to seem like a tv commercial.)

 The kernel should send a signal to a process (that has registered for
it) to inform it that something has changed in its `pwd`.  This way,
file managers won't have to poll for directory updates, they can say
'signal me if something changes here', and sleep.

 The ftpd could then register itself for that, and raise a 'haven't
told this connect yet' flag per active connection, when a directory
changes.  Another command could be added to ftp then... sending it
would check that bit, and say either, yes, the dir has been updated at
this end, or no, it's the same as when you logged on.  After reading
that status, the bit would reset; you don't have to read the dir
listing to reset it.  If you made the change yourself, you track it
maybe, like 'efs' does.

 That would really make 'efs' (XEmacs Extended FileSystem, aka
ange-ftp) work well...  It could keep the display up to date without
polling the filesystem.

 I think it would work well for nfs connected filesystems too.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg