Re: daylight savings time: POSIX vs real world

On May 2, jwalther@citytel.net wrote
> On 2 May 1997, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > You need to set GMT="-u" in /etc/init.d/boot (search for the section
> > where GMT is already being set), and then you need to reset the
> > hardware clock to GMT based on the current system time.  You can do
> > that with "clock -au".  That's it.
>
> Much appreciated.  Thank you very much for helping a newbie out =)
>
> > The only drawback is that other OSes like Win95 will have the wrong
> > time, but who cares about that :> Note that next time daylight savings
>
> hrrrm.   I care :>  But oh well, its nice to have the correct behavoir
> under linux anyhow.

There is a dos package called clk360rs.zip which will set the system time
to the correct time (time + timezone offset + daylight saving offset)
without changing the CMOS time. It works with the old windows 3.11 maybe
it'll work for win95 too. There is a small problem with windows trying
to set the system time back to the CMOS time but windows 3.11 had an
option in the ini file to disable this behaviour (maybe win95 has such
an option too).

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de