Re: msdos-i386 and symlinks in DOS

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Philip Hands wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I've come up with an alternative solution to this msdos name thing, for CD's at least, but I don't use DOS enough to know if it will work.
>
> Normally mkisofs maps names that conflict when they are truncated to names with extensions of .000, .001 and so on.  I've tweaked it (at present with an applying hack) to instead choose the names from index/msdos-names, so the short name used for the non-Rock-Ridge(8.3) directory entries is the same as the one in the ms-dos area.
>
> At present, it isn't perfect, but it does result in all the 8.3 names on
the CD having the right extension, and with a little work should be publishable. >

If this depends on the RockRidge extensions it will not work in DOS as it
doesn't recognize RockRidge extensions.
If mkisofs can handle hard links I think that that is the solution. I
noticed an option on cp (-l) that appears to convert symbolic links to
hard links. Next time I get a chance, I will try this and see how it
works.

> Does this actually sort out the problem ?  I think it does for CD's but
not when using ftp --- why would anyone want to ftp from DOS before
installing Linux, rather than the other way round ? >

Regrettably, the rest of the work runs in DOS/Windows. Many folks trying
out Linux for the first time must bootstrap themselved from a DOS machine.
My first Debian system came this way, but I downloaded the "regular"
portion of the distribution with all the name clobbering that goes with
it. I built my first system with the boot disks and dpkg, and it would
have been much easier if the names had been legible.

Luck,

Dwarf