Re: ircii_EPIC3.004-1

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Chris Fearnley wrote:

> >The program I would like to package is ircii-EPIC3.004.  This presents me
> >with a bit of confusion concerning the numbering system.  This is a
> >'hacked' irc client, an offshoot of the main development, that happens to
> >work quite well.

> Another option is to get the upstream to incorporate patches that make
> the EPIC changes run-time options to the standard ircii.  I think you
> should hold off on uploading this package until the upstream ircii
> maintainers accept the changes.

At this point, if anything, the two programs are taking more, if not less,
divergent paths, and while I believe the main ircii has incorporated
several changes from EPIC, I don't think they are close to merging.  I
personally prefer the features and stability of EPIC, and think it is
better than the original.  As far as uploading it, I'm not an official
Debian developer yet, so, I can't:-).  I was working on this package as it
is of interest to me, and it is not critical, making it a nice intro to
the debian packaging system.

> Really, how many versions of ircii or bash or gcc should Debian have?
> Let's not confuse our users with too many choices (we have enough
> already).

That's not for me to decide, but I would like to share my efforts with
others.  Maybe 'contrib' would be better suited?  As far as irc clients,
Debian already has ircii, 3 bitchx packages, zircon, and xirc to boot.
Maybe one more is too many, but in this case, am I to just keep this
package to myself?

> In sum, try to merge the offshoot with the main development.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen any time soon in this case.

As far as naming it, I guess the only solution is to call it irciiepic,
even though it's ugly.

Thanks for your help,

David Welton
davidw@efn.org  davidw@freenet.hut.fi  http://www.efn.org/~davidw
Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
				--Linuxista--