Re: Bug reports and fixes should be reported upstream

Guy Maor writes:

> > I just approved the following posting to comp.os.linux.announce
> > (this is an excerpt only):
> >
> > 	After announcing that I had fixed all bugs in cfdisk
> > 	known to me, people immediately reminded me that more
> > 	cfdisk problems lie hidden in the bug archives for
> > 	various distributions.
>
> A.E. Brouwer maintains fdisk3.  He's never expressed a desire to
> maintain the old fdisk2 or cfdisk out of util-linux.  One day he has
> an idle moment and decides to release an updated cfdisk.  Surprise!
> The masses are grateful and point him to some other cfdisk bugs.  So
> he chides them for lacking the precognition to tell him about the
> problem before he made the release.
>
> > The Debian maintainer of the package should forward bugs and fixes
> > to the upstream maintainer.
>
> The Debian maintainer?  That would me!  What a slacker I am for not
> forwarding a bug that was filed three days ago.

Guy, please don't feel attacked personally.

Every maintainer who fixes bugs and not just forward bugreports to the
upstream maintainer should ask himself if he forward fixes.  As I told
some day before I had a discussion with Alan Cox where he told me one
thing why he dislikes Debian.  It is the same, fixes often don't find
their way back to the upstream sources.

I don't know how much of this is true.  I'm trying to send fixes.  In
the case of manpages this is a very nasty job because often Andries
refuses my additions.  So every new release is a real pain.  Anyway
my fixes for mSQL haven't found their way back home, this was a simple
time problem in the past.

Regards

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Ich muede, also bin ich                       -- Andreas Porr /