Package Numbering

Hello,

SmallEiffel (which I am packaging) uses negative version numbering.
I assume dpkg can't handle that (it thinks -0.86 is later than -0.85,
which it obviously isn't). The numbering is in the interval
between -1 and 0. How should I map the version numbers to package
numbers. My proposal is: n |-> n+1 , that is add one to the number.
This maps version -1 (not released) to 0, and version -0 (the final)
to 1, and preserving order inbetween. Is that OK?

--
Ole J. Tetlie, Dept. of Informatics/Mathematics, Univ. of Oslo
Idiot, mathematician, programmer. (in preferred order)

Hiroshima 45    --    Chernobyl 86    --    Windows 95   :-{
"This manual assumes familiarity with the other two manuals,
one of which is unfortunately not yet written."
		Slightly adapted from the Debian Policy Manual