Re: 1997-04-04 install disks vs. kernel-image

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> My girlfriend just installed her NEC laptop with the 1997-04-04
> disks.  (She's a mach kernel hacker, so most of the difficulty was
> believing that the install wouldn't just trash the whole machine :-)
>
> Mostly uneventful.  The one major problem:  we did a normal install,
> then copied over pcmcia* and installed them, and were then able to
> bring up a pcmcia ethernet card and dselect access=nfs.  That worked
> fine... until we rebooted!  Turns out that while the resc1440 kernel
> and the pcmcia package are consistent, the kernel-image-2.0.29 kernel
> is *broken* with respect to getksyms... I've reported this before, and
> I don't know if 2.0.30 is done right (it probably is) but that's not
> relevant -- the 1.3 kernel *must* be correct.

2.0.29-5 and 2.0.30 are correct, but they weren't moved out of
Incoming yet.

> Minor bits: the broadcast address calculation was "right" but I had to
> override it by hand (I use a /26 netmask ending in .128, so it decided
> that 191 was correct for all-ones -- but some of my machines are old
> sunos systems, so we use .255 even if it's "wrong(tm)" and there
> wasn't an obvious way to override it.

OK, I added an extra option for entering this manually.

I didn't know that such an option might be used.

> When it got to the "last" step, "make disk bootable" I think, it
> listed alternates of "make boot floppy" and "reboot system" but "next"
> just went back to "make disk bootable".  A little confusing.

I'll check this later.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/