Re: Why don't we have a gencat?

Christian Hudon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would anyone happen to know why we don't have a 'gencat' binary
> anywhere? I looked in the Contents file, and we have a gencat.1.gz
> manpage (provided by man-db) but nothing that provides a gencat
> binary.

It's clearly a bug in the man-db package.
More precisely the bug is in the Makefile that tryes to install gencat
from the wrong directory.

man-db_2.3.10-35 will have it right. I'll inform you when it will be
available.

Thank you for having noticed it.

> I found a package on sunsite that has source for gencat that I could
> package up and upload, but I find it hard to believe that none of the
> 'development' GNU packages (i.e. gcc, libc, binutils) ship with such
> a tool in their source.

man-db is not a GNU package (you know what GNU thinks of manpages :-),
and the gencat included in its source is the enhanced gencat contributed
by Alfalfa Software Incorporated, Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1990.

I don't know what is the gencat that you have found on sunsite, but, if
it isn't the same, can someone who uses it make a comparison and suggest
here what could be best to have in the distribution?

Cheers,
Fabrizio
| fpolacco@icenet.fi  fpolacco@debian.org  -  Using Debian GNU/Linux ! |
| 6F7267F5 fingerprint 57 16 C4 ED C9 86 40 7B 1A 69 A1 66 EC FB D2 5E |