Re: "dselect" replacement team

jwalther@smartt.com writes:

> > Are directory lookups really that slow?  I'd be surprised if they were
> > a significant fraction of the total computation time.
>
> Yes they are.  They very much are.  Those of us without super pentium
> 200's really notice this.  Im on a 486dx2/80, and I notice dselect's
> slowness, and the way it reprocesses things that its already processed!
> its irritating.

I wasn't debating whether or not deselect is slow.  People wouldn't be
complaining so much if it wasn't.  What I was advocating was making
sure we know where the actual bottlenecks are, so time isn't wasted
speeding up things that aren't related to the problem.

I wasn't claiming to know either way, just urging careful study.

--
Rob