Re: Question on install

In article <19970412134252.18532@desire.camelot.de>,
Alexander Koch <efraim@desire.camelot.de> wrote:
>[I was not able to make correct boot disks with dd, right now it's about 10
>disks that are not working, though they're all a bit older. I can format
>usual dos discs and read usual discs so the fd drive should be ok. I'm using
>the 04-04 disc set.

FWIW, I have never trusted the Linux floppy driver. Ever since Linux 1.0.
Before that, it was OK.

We have a couple of machines here, if you format a floppy on them under Linux,
the floppy will be totally unusable. You can't even reformat it under DOS.
You need to demagnitize it with a magnet first. Machines and floppy drives
work fine under DOS. Replacing the floppy drive does not help.

Ofcourse nobody believes me, so I've like given up on sending bug reports.

Mike.