Re: "dselect" replacement team

On 12 Apr 1997, Carey Evans wrote:

> Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Hmmm, I just had a thought. We _NEED_ some kind of perl interface to the
> > libdpkg, for dpkg-ftp, etc. Arggh.
>
> Writing a simple wrapper around the libdpkg functions shouldn't be too
> difficult using XS unless the library passes really complex data
> structures around; I could probably handle it.  And SWIG could be an
> alternative for getting a wrapper: <URL:http://www.cs.utah.edu/~beazley/SWIG/>.
> (This would provide interfaces to Tcl, Python and Guile too.)

I think the data structures will be complex C++ classes with nice elagent
interfaces for happy C++ programs :> I do not know nearly enought about
perl to even suggest what sort of interface perl would like, it might be
best to have a program that writes out select portions of the various data
files in a simple text format instead of going for an all out perl
library.

Anyhow, I've archived your emails so I will look at that web page
eventually ;>

Jason