Re: gcc problem

Kai Henningsen wrote:
> I (foolishly) wrote:
> > Um, did you not recieve my earlier statement about why it didn't work?
> > (No offense intended, I just couldn't tell from the above...)  No libc6,
> > no gcc 2.7.2.2.
>
> Not that I remember. When and where did you send it?

I sent it to the bug reporter, to the bug tracking system, and (I had
thought) to debian-devel.  But checking out the archive, I realized I
had only sent it to the first two.

Anyway, gcc 2.7.2.2 has only one difference from .1:  it compiles code
be default which works with libc6 instead of libc5.  Basically, it sets
the dynamic linker's name to /lib/ld-linux.so.2 instead of
/lib/ld-linux.so.1.  Since you probably don't have libc6 installed, it
couldn't find the dynamic linker, and so linux refused to execute the
binaries it produced.  So unless you're testing out libc6, don't use gcc
2.7.2.2.

--Galen