Re: YADES: Yet Another Dpkg Enhancement Suggestion: pruning

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> I've been following the threads about dpkg's various suggested
> enhancements _and_ about the nightmare on installing debian on
> several machines.
>
> What about a configuration file for dpkg which would allow unpacking
> with pruning ?
>
> Let me explain, a file /etc/dpkg.prune could contain a list a
> directories not to extract into !
>
> Rationale: If one wants to have a NFS mounted /usr, he should be able
> to install the full packages on the NFS server, and install the same
> packages on the NFS client machines, but with pruning anything under
> /usr. The packages would still install the needed file in /var,
> /etc,... but nothing under /usr.
> This would be a killer feature for network installs, and must be
> straightforward to implement !
>
> Comments ?

Great idea! I've been needing such a thing for my local network since
my first Debian v1.1 installs.

It should warn the super-user when trying to purge packages from
an NFS client if the packages still are installed on the NFS server,
to prevent leaving a program without their config files. Also it should
check when installing a package on an NFS client, that the files that would
go into the NFS-mounted dirs really are there (same package, same version).

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna