Re: architecture specific upload announcements

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> the only reason, why i don't like it : i don't want to run such a
> mechanism on my machine as root. but building packages only works as
> root... if a developer is doing something wrong, he can create a
> desaster on all these machines.

I've been following this for awile and I haven't seen anyone deal with the
problem of versioning! Right now we cannot tell what compilers and
libraries a package needs to be able to compile. You could install
everything on the build machines but that causes instant problems when a
package needs 1.2 of a library but 1.4 is installed and they are
incompatible.

To even begin to implement something like this the .dsc file would require
an accurate depends list just like the .deb files and the build machines
would have to dynamically install and uninstall packages!

If you ask me that introduces alot of headache for whoever runs the
machine, adds a lot of possibility for the build failing and generaly
makes the package maintainer/developers life more difficult. There has to
be a better way to authenticate the packages?

Jason