Re: Problem with lprng turned out to be problem with dpkg?

Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> I'd like to suggest that dpkg be fixed so that it always updates the
> permissions of the files and (leaf) directories in the file system to
> match those in the deb file.  Right now it doesn't.
IMHO if a package depends of certain files belonging to a specific owner,
it should it's postinst set these permissions right, if there is a chance
that the files have already been there.

For lprng this is definitely the case (this one hit me too).

In the long run I agree that dpkg should be changed as it is already a bug
if files in a package belong to someone else except root if this doesn't
serve a specific purpose (or am I wrong here?)

Nils

--
     \              /                        | Nils Rennebarth
    --* WINDOWS 42 *--                       | Schillerstr. 61
   Micro$oft's final answer                  | http://www.nus.de/~nils