Re: Installation test report: 1997-04-04

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> > Why is the CD-ROM accessed as sda?
>
> scan_partitions is looking for partitions and doesn't know it's a CD.

But the kernel finds that a CD and a disk are different things. Hence
the CD is assigned to scd0. As I understand this a CD is never
accessed by sd*.

> In my opinion the driver should fail silently if there is no CD in the
> drive. However, it doesn't, so we should do something like start
> "cat /proc/kmsg >/dev/tty5 &" in /etc/rc so that the user always has
> console messages in that window rather than the main window.

This is already done (It is started by init). But the messages
nevertheless always appear on the current virtual console (e.g. for
hda/hdb CD-Rom drives).

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/