Packaging: Debian GNU/Linux

 I've been watching the talk in the xemacs-beta list about making
elisp packages for the next XEmacs, and am wondering...  Have you seen
the Debian system?  RPM isn't the only way; and just because it's the
most advertised, doesn't mean it's the best.  Perhaps as programmers,
you can make a more valid comparison than I can at this point.

 There already exists Debian packages for ViewMail, AucTeX, and
MailCrypt, designed to be installed for the standard FSF Emacs.  With
a little effort on the part of a few knowledgable people, this could
be done for XEmacs packages as well, couldn't it?

 I myself know very little about the packaging system right now...
I've a long way to go, I'm only a first and a half year student.

 Perhaps you will contact the maintainers of those Debian packages
though...  You can find information at http://www.debian.org, and I
believe that a search there for the packages will turn up a cgiwww
page with a link to the maintainers' addresses.

 You may also enquire on the mailing list:
mailto:debian-devel@lists.debian.org
(to which you may like to subscribe, via the www interface... I
imagine you will be quite welcome to join.)

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Portland, OR  USA
Debian GNU 1.2  Linux 2.0.29t