Re: problem with folder locking: procmail and pine

Hi,

Malc> On 2 Mar, John Goerzen wrote:
>> On Mar 2, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:
>>
>> > Debian procmail is patched to use *only* dot locking, as mandated
>> by Debian policy manual, 4.3.
>>
>> Hmm, is it just me or does that seem a little silly?
>>
>> What's wrong with using dot-locking in conjunction with
>> fcntl/flock?

Malc> It blows up horribly if /var/spool/mail (or the local
Malc> equivalent) is mounted via NFS.  Dot-locking is the *only*
Malc> reliable locking mechanism in that case; and since a Debian
Malc> package can't know in advance what its run-time environment
Malc> should be, then it shouldn't use any locking mechanism except
Malc> .lock files.

	Could you please elaborate on ``blows up horribly''? I was
 under the impression that fcntl/flock would fail if the file were NFS
 mounted, in which case the dot locking mechanism ensured exclusive
 access, and for local files either method by itself would work.

	In other words, using both methods would not be harmful, which
 is contrary to what ``blows up horribly'' conveys to me.

	manoj

--
 "This is no time for consensus government.  It's a time for
 leadership.  The average citizen doesn't know what the stakes are in
 Vietnam." Richard M. Nixon, February 11, 1965