Re: Icon sizes for menus

 Joey> Kenneth MacDonald:

 >> Unfortunately, when working with icons as small as 16x16, it's
 >> more up to good initial design than simply shrinking an existing
 >> larger picture.  A good start, though, no doubt, and better than
 >> nothing.

 Joey> Unfortunatly, not all debian devlopers are artists. And none of
 Joey> us are going to want to spend huge amounts of time fiddling
 Joey> with icons for all the programs in our packages that have menu
 Joey> entries. Also, shrinking an image is good if you already have
 Joey> an icon, but it's too big.

There are several large image sets out there.  AIcons, 3d_pixmaps,
martys_icons|marbles|pixmaps to name the few I have installed in
/usr/local/lib/ on my system.  Lots of the icons even have predone
32x32 and little (16x16 maybe) versions that are the same icon (one
for icon bars one for menus).  Maybe making a couple debian packages
out of these might be a good idea then developers wouldn't have to
design any just find an appropriate one from the huge number these
packages contain.  Also TheNextLevel from redhat has a nice set of
clean and clear icons as well.

The only little difficulty I see is that you'd want to keep all these
icons in separate directories as they are distributed (to deal with
them in an easier fashion) so any window manager that has a IconPath
type thingy would need to be able to include some directory and all
subdirectories.  (pretty easy to do in some sort of script)

It might be nice as well to have high color/low color/black and white
sets of icons so that the right set would be chosen for each colour
depth.  I run at 16bit colour.  I don't care how many colours icons
take up. :)

The only problem I see with these collection is making sure everything
is freely usable.  (which is granted a big project).  TheNextLevel is
under the GPL (though I couldn't find a COPYING file with it).
3d_pixmaps are under:
Copying-policy: Use Freely on your System to show Commercials
                we can do it better :) Long live LiNUX !
martys sets don't seem to have any copying policy docs with them so
he'll have to be contacted about them.  And the AIcons looks like a
mess with each subdirectory possibly having a different copyright.

(If anyone wants to go looking AIcons, and 3d_pixmaps can easily be
found off yahoo using their titles, and martys stuff can be found
somewhere off the fvwm home page (sorry I didn't keep locations on any
of this stuff))

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss                 | moss@cs.sc.edu | Blessed Be!