Re: IMPORTANT: What can we do about the base package?

> > > The next release will obsolete the base package. Some stuff will go into
> > > base-files, some stuff will go into base-passwd, and some stuff will go
> > > into no package at all.
> >
> > I understand that dpkg will remove a package if all of its files are
> > provided by other packages.
> >
> > Will the smaller packages not encompass all of the files in the current
> > base package?  If not, could we just create zero length dummy files in
> > them that can be removed at in a later release?
>
> All of this was completely explained in my mail, the one you quote from
> above. I don't feel like repeating myself.

I'm afraid it wasn't completely explained because even reading it again I
did't see what the problem was.  Only after exploring the list of files
included in base do I understand what you meant by "especially includes
*all* the devices".

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

 Generated by Signify v1.01.  For this and more, visit http://www.verisim.com/