Re: source packages and upstream source

ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 28.02.97 in <m0w0XOi-0004QqC@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:

> dpkg-source can be changed so that it doesn't mind what directory the
> upstream .tar.gz unpacks into, but I think it will still have to
> require that it unpacks into _some_ subdirectory.

We can force that, as has already been pointed out.

Make a new subdirectory. untar into that subdirectory. All you need to
check for are absolute paths, and paths including "..".

Move the results around after unpacking, so the rest of the system needs
no special intelligence. If there's just one subdir in the tempdir, make
that the original dir. If there's several, or any non-dirs, use the
tempdir instead.

Of course, there's still the problem with exotic source packages - shar
files, zip files, multiple files, tars with absolute paths or ".."
components, tars containing other archives ... all those will still need
repacking.

> The upstream source tarfile itself should still be renamed to
> *.orig.tar.gz, but of course that won't affect its checksum.

True.

MfG Kai