Re: Possible framework for `debmake replacement'

This has ben already discussed in this long thread. I thought it was
plain. I hope it doesn't start another long thread :-)

Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
>
> >I think we need to change the nature of the debian/rules file from
> >edited to generated (and so it should be better to change its name,
> >so we could handle both ways to build packages without shooting
> >anyone's foot).
>
> Current debmake:
>
> The debian/rules file is already generated by the "deb-make" script.

deb-make creates a template, a skeleton to be edited later.
What was suggested is an idempotent process to generate a full makefile
from a description file + a policy file.
Edit should be done in the description file.

> compression and other things that might change are done by a script
> invoked by debian/rules.

I suggest to create the commands to do those things and put them in the
generated rules files instead then execute them; the rules file is
executed later, as usual.

> The rules file generation could be made much more sophisticated.

That is.

> >Then could be useful a dpkg-lint checker which can discover "unusual"
> >things and warn the maintainer and/or inform the QA testers about
> >things done differently as the current policy. It could be *really*
> >useful to test packages when policy changes: it could suggest changes
> >to be done in the package description file(s) to accomplish policy.
>
> Current debmake:
>
> debmake contains a program deblint doing just that. It might need some
> more tests and some other improvements thought.

I remember someone doing that and asking for inclusion in debmake. Then
I forgot it. It is something like that, exept that the "policy" should
be in a separate file (used also to generate the rules|makefile) and not
hardcoded in the program.

> >The maintainer should _always_ have the last word, which should be
> >explained somewhere in a debian/ file like readme.debian or so.
>
> Definitely.

obviously.

Fabrizio
| fpolacco@icenet.fi  fpolacco@debian.org  -  Using Debian GNU/Linux ! |
| 6F7267F5 fingerprint 57 16 C4 ED C9 86 40 7B 1A 69 A1 66 EC FB D2 5E |