Re: Where's the "mfdcfnt" package?

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Erick Branderhorst wrote:

>     Guy> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
>     >> A user reported to me that the "mfdcfnt" package, formerly in non-free, is
>     >> no longer present. I looked on master.debian.org, and that's right, it's
>     >> not there. Can someone tell us what replaces it and where to find it?
>
>     Guy> tetex-base.
>
> I created mfdcfnt a long (half year) while ago because of copyright issues.
> Somehow the upload I did that time failed because of bad checksum.  I uploaded
> dpkg a that time to adapt to the new source format, but I can't build pkgs
> ever since becuase of some stupid WIF_SIGNALED or so.  A while later I switched
> jobs and now I don't have so much time to do debian work, however the problem
> with not being able to build packages was never solved, but it seems to be
> a very local issue on my system only, but I can't trace it.
>
> Because of the above I gave away all my packages for adoption, some where adopted
> some weren't.  I don't know wheter tetex-base is in non-free, otherwise it may
> NOT come with the dc fonts because of copyright issues.  I stronlgly suggest
> that this is solved and that the mfdcfnt package is revived. Unfortunately
> I still can't create such a package.

No, mfdcfnt is no problem anymore: The EC fonts just got released and
replace the DC fonts. I was told that EC fonts are "free" (in Debian
sense) while DC had some restrictions. tetex comes with the new EC fonts,
so this should be no problem.

However, there are probably other macro packages and fonts that are not
"free". We should check this and move them into a tetex-nonfree package,
that should go into non-free.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,
Debian is looking     schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de, bm955877@muenchen.org
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/