Re: Why does dpkg overwrite files?

On 6 Mar 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> When --force-overwrite was first introduced into dpkg, it was off by
> default and caused many problems.  We decided to *temporarily* turn it
> on until all the packages could be fixed.

 Perhaps it should be turned off in unstable releases, and on in stable
ones.
 Perhaps, many utilities could automatically change their behaviour to be
more restrictive when they detect that they're runing in an ustable
distribution (there could be a /etc/debian-status) ...

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar