--admindir=? and --instdir=? from postinst?

Working on dpkg-mountable, I need to be able to modify configuration
files in /var/lib/dpkg/methods/... in the postinst script, and also to
reference executables in /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/... . Now, I understand
that in the second case, dpkg uses chroot to ensure that the script runs
in the right environment. But what about the first case? Is there
anything I can use to find this out?

A look through the programmer's manual, and the outstanding bug reports
on dpkg, turned up nothing. Admittedly this is a fairly abnormal request,
but in this case, as well as the case for the `base' package discussed
earlier where we want to massage the base.list, it would be really useful
to be able to do this, both in the postint and in other scripts. Any
ideas?

Cheers,

&E

--