Re: Upgrade procedure for tetex

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Chris Fearnley wrote:

> >Can you list the packages which are outside of the tex section and
> >which Depend on some old Debian TeX packages?
>
> zgrep 'Depends:.*PGKNAME' /path/to/rex/Packages

that won't work.  it'll just get you a lot of "Depends: lines"

install the latest sgrep package which includes some quick-hack debian
sgrep macros i wrote.

then try something like:

 #! /bin/sh

 # list of OLD_TEX_PACKAGES compiled from Recommends, Provides, & Conflicts
 # lines of new tetex packages, plus "dvipsk" which Lyx complains about.
 #
 # I think I got them all but don't count on it.
 #
 OLD_TEX_PACKAGES="amslatex amstex babel bibtex dvipsk kpathsea latex
                   ltxmisc ltxtool makeindex mfbasfnt mfdcfnt mflib mfnfss
                   ps2pk psnfss texi2html texidoc texinfo texlib texpsfnt
                   textfm xdvik bibtex kpathsea tex texbin texinfo dvipsk"

 DEBIAN_ROOT_DIR="/debian"
 PACKAGE_FILES="$DEBIAN_ROOT_DIR/rex-fixed/binary-i386/Packages.gz
                $DEBIAN_ROOT_DIR/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
                $DEBIAN_ROOT_DIR/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz"

 for PACKAGE in $OLD_TEX_PACKAGES ; do
         zcat $PACKAGE_FILES | \
         sgrep "DEB_PKG containing (DEB_DEPENDS containing \"$PACKAGE\")" | \
         grep "Package: " | \
         sort -u
 done

This produces a list of old-TeX dependant packages in all sections.

It doesn't filter out packages which are in Section: tex. I'll leave that
as an exercise for the reader (in other words, i've just about exhausted
my "expertise" with sgrep :-)

It should probably be modified to search for "Recommends:" lines too
then it would pick up on the fact that Lyx has "Recommends: latex, dvipsk"

Craig