Re: Upgrade procedure for tetex

>> If the consensus is to put tetex in 1.3, then we need to solve the
>> problems.

Brian> It sounds to me like almost all of the problems are in the
Brian> packaging and not bugs in the code itself.  Am I correct on
Brian> this?

I believe so.  teTeX is a mature system and is very popular.  I don't
think there are serious problems in teTeX.

Brian> If that is the case, do people feel that this packaging could
Brian> be fixed within the month while bo is frozen?

The only major problem is that dpkg has trouble in doing multiple
conflict and replace, the upgrade procedure is therefore more
complicated.  Someone suggested that a script tetex-upgrade may be
used to perform the upgrade.  I think it is not a bad idea given the
fact that uninstalling the old Debian TeX may not be straightforward
for some people due to the existing bugs.

--
Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Department of Systems Engineering