Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> You make some good points.  The problem I see is this.  Project Gutenberg, for
> instance, has a huge collection.  There are companies that sell entire CDs of
> stuff from Gutenberg, so I think that including these etexts would make the
> Debian distribution huge.  Possibly double its size.
>
> Perhaps a better alternative would be to provide a "meta-package" that can
> take etexts or some other kind of information and turn it into a Debian
> package?  Then users can have their own text and incorporate it into things
> like dwww.
>
> Or, as you said, don't make them part of the Debian distribution.

I think Debian are begin to grown enough to begin to talk about
dividing(??) the distribution. I really like the packaging scheme for
everything (including some cluster like Guthenberg or x-books). But the
ftp site double in three months, and bo seems to be ever bigger (may be
twice than rex? I hope! ;-)  It will be a good thing if we can divided
everything to simplify life for users. Examples:

	- Having the main debian distribution including normal Linux package
	  plus some popular extra but no source and no development except
	  for the most important such as does who are already in stable.
	- Keeping contrib as it is.
	- Divided non-free in two: stable and unstable.
	- including some add-on repertories such as developpers ressources,
	  extra packages, docs, meta-packages, reviews and magazine, etc.

May be we can make some big sections partly part of the main distribution
and partly part of the add-on distributions (eg: TeX, X11, dev.) The
requirements was only that the main can be a standalone Debian System,
and everything else extra stuff. I think some extra stuff must be
included in the main distribution but only only to provide enough choice
for the user. Particularly, he must can compile a personal kernel and
some other distributed C sources with the main. That's just a bare
minimum.

just my 2 pennies.

 "An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells
  better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make
  better soup."
                                  -- H. L. Mencken
 "A man sometimes devotes his life to a desire which he is
  not sure will ever be fulfilled.  Those who laugh at this
  folly are, after all, no more than mere spectators of life."
                                      -- Ryunosuke Akutagawa
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur        || Running Debian-Linux
Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca                || Lover of MOO, mountains,
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01 || poetry and Freedom.