Re: debian menu's

> Could it be possible to provide both a short and a long description ?
> the update-menus program would have an option to choose the short or long
> descriptions.
>
> The problem would be that this adds an additional field to the menu
> descriptions... this could be solved in two ways :
>
> * add this field in the standard menu description, ask the package
> maintainers to support it, and have update-menus support both formats for
> the transition time (the format can be determined by counting the fields)

Joost suggested the same thing, I didn't really like the suggestion
because the way he wanted to add this new field was somewhat hackish. I
suppose if we can come up with a clean place to put the new field, it'd be
all right to go this way, and your suggestion will give us an easy
transition.

Maybe the new field order could be:

text Math gnuplot none "Gnuplot" "An Interactive Plotting Program" gnuplot

> * or, decide that the short names will be the name of the executable file
> that the menu would start

While it often will be just the same of the executable, the maintainer may
want to use something else and I think they should have the flexability to
do so.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #   joey@kite.ml.org
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess