Re: elf-x11r6lib? (was: Revised Virtual Package Names List)

Guy Maor writes:
 > The programmer's manual says to use elf-x11r6lib.  I remember that
 > Stephen E. said that we should now use xlib6.  I'm sure he'll retain
 > downward compatibility by continuing to provide elf-x11r6lib in xlib6,
 > so elf-x11r6lib is a safe bet.

I think (from what somebody else has said on this list) that the
policy manual has been updated.

xlib6 will continue to provide elf-x11r6lib for the forseeable
future. Packages which generate their dependencies using
dpkg-shlibdeps should do the right thing automatically.

Packages which depend on things like X11R6, xbaseR6, xlib, etc. are
buggy and should be updated as soon as possible.

Steve Early