Re: Proposal: A config file for runlevels (DRAFT)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> I think we must agree to disagree on this. IMHO, your system
> introduces new risks and does not have much gain, and is
> therefore not worth it.

I respect your opinion but you avoided to reply to my arguments. This way
I can't reproduce your fears. That you don't want to take part in the
further discussion is a pity.

> > No, I didn't look at RedHat. Because they hide everything behind a GUI
> > which is quite useless if you are logged in remotely.
>
> X works over TCP/IP. A similar text mode tool could be written easily.

Yes, theoretically X works over my 14.000 Baud Modem. I tested it, the
usal tk-application takes only 1-2 minutes to appear, a pull-down menu
about 15-30 seconds. I'm sure this can be reduced by a compressor like
dxcp.

> > I'm really concerned about the RedHat-hype I see in Debian-devel.
>
> Co-operation is good for everyone. That doesn't prevent anyone
> from coming up with new ideas.

Co-operation and "hype" are different things. I didn't say anything
against co-operation with RedHat.

But hype is something which prevents new ideas and blindly copying
something from RedHat is hype (not cooperation).

-Winfried