Re: Should I support xinetd in my Packages?

| On Tuesday, 30 December 97, at 9:11:52 PM
| Eloy wrote about "Should I support xinetd in my Packages?"
> Hi,

> I received a message from a user that wants to know if I plan to
> support xinetd in the installation scripts of the Samba package. I
> need to enable/disable entries in /etc/inetd.conf to change the
> behavior of inetd but this user uses xinetd instead of inetd.

> Do I need to support xinetd as well? Is there an "update-xinetd" that
> provides the same functionality of "update-inetd"? How should I handle
> this? Any policies?

I believe that xinetd should replace(or use /etc/alternatives)update-inetd.
The replaced version can then update both inetd.conf and xinetd.conf.  This
way, every other daemon doesn't have to be changed, and ALL daemons auto-
matically gain support for xinetd.

In the postinst for xinetd, it should convert inetd.conf to xinetd.conf, but
not remove inetd.conf.  The removal scripts should not touch xinetd.conf.

This might mean expanding the options passed to update-inetd, to handle the
enhanced xinetd processing.

Any additional thoughts, suggestions, flames?

I wish I had a life outside Quake.

Adam Heath of Borg-Linux adam.heath@usa.net Join the H.323 effort.  Email
http://www.debian.org - Get Your Own Linux! h.323-request@cichlid.com with
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265 - Page Me  the word subscribe in the body.