Device files

Hi all:

I'm packaging a kernel driver for the Gravis Ultrasound sound card.  It
requires some special device files to be created (in addition to those
normally used by the OSS driver) in order for all of its features to work.  My
question is, how should I create the device files?

By now, I'm running from the postinst script a script included with the driver
sources, that creates the device files directly.  However, there's no
equivalent script for removing them later, so I would have to put code in the
prerm script to do that.   Is that the right way of doing things or there's a
better method available (like, for example inserting lines in the MAKEDEV
config files or dropping a file in a certain directory, a la System V)?

Thanks a lot,

M. S.