Re: non-hub 10baseT connections

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Stephen Zander wrote:

> Vincent Renardias wrote:
> > Yes, you can, but you need a special ethernet cable with a pair of wires
> > crossed. (I made a few ones, but you should consider to buy it if you have
> > no special wiring knowledge. Costs about $8 here.)
>
> Given the specs, I could but not without tools

You'd be surprised... I described a cross cable to a friend of mine, and
told him that he'd have to go and get one made up or get some tools.  He
mailed me back 5 minutes later to tell me that he'd got it working. I
asked him how, he said he'd pried the cable apart, done the cross (he'd
never seen ethernet before, and yet he got it right), and then used duct
tape to 'secure' the cable back in the cable end. It worked, and it still
does.

Wouldn't try this for a production system though... ;)

Thomas.