Re: IconPath, menu

Redirecting to debian-policy.  Followups to debian-policy only please.

[You (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marcelo_E=2E_Magall=F3n?=)]
>On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Adam P. Harris wrote:
>
>> [You (Karl M. Hegbloom)]
>> > I've created a directory "/usr/X11R6/icons" for my own use.
>>
>> We already have the location, and it is standard:
>>   /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/
>> There are over 300 pixmaps in there, a good deal of which are icons.
>
>Is that policy? Gnome puts the pixmaps in /usr/share/pixmaps, and
>according to my interpretation of FSSTD/FHS, gnome's practice is better.

Policy is vague; FSSTD is what hamm uses (not
FHS!).  It is de facto, if not policy, that icons are /usr/X11R6/include/
X11/pixmaps.  I could see an argument that that dir should in fact be a
symlink to /usr/share/pixmaps, but the latter does _not_ replace the
former, since as FSSTD v1.2 says:

| One note: no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share.  For
| instance, a manual page program should never directly look in
| /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1, but it should refer to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at
| all times.  Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the use of
| symlinks from other areas in the filesystem, such as /usr/man,
| /usr/lib/<something>, etc.

Again, my advise is to go with the current flow, and we'll move all
arch-indepenant data (which also includes man pages, etc) to /usr/share
on the next cycle (post-hamm).