Re: New required base packages for Amiga, Atari, ... detection

kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

> > > As in, ISA vs. MCA vs. PCI? :-)
> >
> > No, as in e.g. Intel-PC vs. Sun :-)
>
> Hardly. That would be a case of incompatible CPUs. Or does Sun produce x86
> machines these days? Nothing is impossible ...

No, the CPUs are the same in this instance, but the hardware architectures
are different. The types of programs that need this systen are hardware
specific programs that only work on one kind of hardware architecture,
even though the same CPU is used for more than one hardware architecture.

> I don't think so. Dependencies are for cases where package A depends on
> package B. Not for hardware dependencies.

I think in this case it makes sense to use dependencies such as these,
instead of changing control files to use something like:

CPU: m68k
Architecture: amiga

and

CPU: m68k
Architecture: mac

and

CPU: ia32
Architecture: generic-pc

The dependencies also ensure a range of hardware specific programs can be
included at once, without having to find and select each separately.

> We don't have any other hardware related mechanism, and I really don't
> think we need one.

I think Roman's proposal is a very good idea.

Perhaps you could reconsider after taking into account this additional
information?

	Martin.