Re: BUG: SVGATextMode or GPM

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Grobman +ADw-igor+AEA-digicron.com+AD4-
To: Adam Heath +ADw-adam.heath+AEA-usa.net+AD4-
Cc: Debian Development +ADw-debian-devel+AEA-lists.debian.org+AD4-
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 1997 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: BUG: SVGATextMode or GPM

+AD4APg- I am running lastest hamm, and when I upgraded to the new svgatextmode, it asked to remove the /etc/rc.boot files, and install new ones.  I did so, but when I rebooted, it executed after gpm.  When I boot, the kernel uses 80x25, and when svgatextmode runs, it changes it to 180x80.  However, the mouse is locked in the upper left-hand corner.  Running +ACI-/etc/init.d/gpm restart+ACI- fixes it, but svgatextmode should be run earlier in the sequence.
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-This is not a bug, this is a FAQ :-).  Default TextConfig now includes (and
+AD4-has been since 1.6-2, I think) the following line:
+AD4-
+AD4-ResetProg +ACI-/usr/sbin/STM+AF8-reset+ACI-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-STM+AF8-reset is a script that sends a WINCH signal to gpm notifying it of the
+AD4-screen resize.  Since TextConfig is a conffile, and yours has probably been
+AD4-modified, the change never got through to you.  This will be mentioned in
+AD4-README.debian of the next version of stm.
+AD4-

When it installed, I told it to overwrite the old file.  I still consider it a bug, because the operation of the computer changes, and I have to manually run /etc/init.d/gpm restart.  It would be nice to have a default STM+AF8-reset, that checks if /etc/init.d/gpm exists, and if so, restart it.
Or better yet, make a directory that packages can install files into, and have STM+AF8-reset call them.  IE /etc/stm.d.

Any time the default way of do things is changed, the user should be notified.  This doesn't warrant a pause, but at least a message would have been nice.  I had been running 1.3.1, with libc6 installed for a while, and did the hamm upgrade(50+-megs).  I was expecting to have lots of messages about config files, so it wouldn't have been a pain to wait for another message.

BTW, the is default resetprog is +ACI-/etc/STM+AF8-reset+ACI-, and it should not be there.  It should be in some bin dir.

My old TextConfig had it also.

 Adam Heath of Borg-Linux adam.heath+AEA-usa.net Join the H323 effort.  Email
 http://www.debian.org - Get Your Own Linux+ACE- h.323-request+AEA-cichlid.com with
 http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265 - Page Me  the word subscribe in the body.