dselect/dpkg dependency problems

     While testing the upgrading of rex to hamm I have discovered
several problems or possible bugs.  I will post each of these as
separate messages, and ask if anyone else has encountered them, and if
they should be reported as bugs.

Timezone:
     Version 7.48-3 of timezone was installed and timezones version
2.0.5c-0.1 was selected for installation.  timezones replaces and
conflicts with timezone.  However, dselect reported:

"dpkg: regarding .../base/timezones_2.0.5c-0.1.deb containing
timezones:
 timezones conflicts with timezone
  timezone (version 7.48-3) is installed.
dpkg: error processing /debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base\
/timezones_2.0.5c-0.1.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing timezones

     Is this correct behavior on the part of dpkg?  It should be
possible to upgrade, even if the package name is changed, without
having to use --force.

Libnet:
     In hamm, libnet-perl replaces, provides, and conflicts with
libnet.  However, with libnet-perl selected, dselect left previously
installed libnet marked for install, under "Obsolete/local Optional
packages".  I manually deselected libnet before running the (I)nstall
phase of dselect, so I don't know what dpkg would have done if it had
been allowed to run.  libnet-perl properly declares the replace,
provide, and conflict.

     Comments?

Bob