Re: ppp & pam (was: Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts')

> Philip Hands wrote:
> >
> > ppp is needed for doing an install from the internet via a dialup link.  PAM is not needed until you want people to log into the system, so libpam is a waste of space on the install disks.
>
> The only advantage I can see is a couple of kilobytes of space on the
> installation floppies.  Otherwise, ppp is optional anyway.  So I'd
> prefer to see pppd stay as one package and linked with pam.

I thought that, until I noticed that libpam depends upon libpam-util, which depends upon libpwdb0, which together come to about 180k compressed.

Once a few other things on the base disks use PAM (if they ever do) then I can always dump ppp-pam, make ppp support PAM, and make ppp conflict with ppp-pam.

In the mean time, I think the version on the base disks needs to stay as it is (i.e. no PAM) to avoid putting another hurdle in front of Debian-2.0.

Cheers, Phil.