Re: writev questions - epic maintainer speaks

davidw@gate.cks.com (David Welton)  wrote on 17.12.97 in <[🔎] 19971217221649.08215@heorot>:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 1997 at 09:22:51PM -0800, Guy Maor wrote:
> > According to Stevens on page 300, writev is atomic, so I would regard
> > Linux's behavior as a bug.
>
> On one tty I start wserv, the offending program with the writev:
> @chimchim [/usr/lib/epic4] $ ./wserv chimchim 9000
>
> On another, a 'server':
>
> @chimchim [~] $ nc -l -p 4000
> /dev/ttyp6
>
> There is a newline, it's transmitted fine, but, here is the tcpdump:

Umm - TCP? I'm not the TCP expert, but I understand that TCP doesn't ever
guarantee where it's going to put packet boundaries. That's supposed to be
a stream, and packet boundaries are supposed to be invisible to the upper
layers, except for timing.

MfG Kai