Re: Service registration

Guy Maor <maor@1Cust8.max37.los-angeles.ca.ms.uu.net> wrote:
> When a provider first installed a hook, the system would immediately
> run the hookfile for all clients that already registered.  Then
> whenever a new client registered, it would run the hookfile.  The
> hookfile would be run with the same arguments that the client
> registered with.  Any arbitrary information can be stored in the
> service registry.
> Comments?

What about more than one hookfile event before service is available?

Say, ferinstance, that several revisions of a package are installed
and there are subtly different arguments each time.  Or, that package
installation fails, is backed out, then installed then reconfigured?

Simplest solution is to only track the last hookfile event, but
that only works if each call is complete unto itself.  On the other
hand, we want to maintain existing configuration information,
should the system administrator have needed to reconfigure things.

I think that this means we'd need to define some sort of generic
(and repeatable) database interface.

--
Raul