Re: Moving topics from debian-private (was Re: SPI money out)

On 16-Dec-1997, Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tyson Dowd:
> > A couple of us discussed this (and other problems with the mailing
> > list), in the thread "Duplicate messages on this list" in debian-devel
> > about a week ago and eventually came to a standstill where most people
> > in the discussion were happy with the following solution:
> >
> >         Set the mailing lists up so that the headers are munged
> >         in the following way:
> > [deleted]
>
> Please let noone think that just because that absurd and awful
> suggestion was the last thing anyone said that everyone is happy with
> it.
>
> Rather, the rest of us have more important things to do than to fight
> battles with people with broken mailers and broken ideas about how
> mailers ought to work.

I'm sorry that you think a simple fix that would solve a potentially
very embarrasing problem is too distateful to discuss. I have brought
the matter up only when the current mail configuration has caused
problems.

I figured if it was important enough for Bruce to reply to the original
poster and give a rap on the knuckles for jumping lists, then it's
important enough to stop.  If I've gone too far wasting people's time
with these issues, I won't bring it up again - but I'd seriously
recommend not using debian-private for anything that should remain
private, until the world upgrades their mailers.

Tyson.