Re: RAS on an NT box.

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Philip Hands wrote:

> > I need to connect a Linux box to an NT server over a dial-up line. The NT
> > box uses a "Remote Access Server". I remember seeing a discussion of this
> > recently, but can't find the reference in my mail archives. Can anyone
> > clue me in as to what package/howto I need to look at to deal with this?
>
> You need to enable ms_chap in PPP --- see README.MSCHAP80

Thanks...read it. Is there any reason, besides the libraries that this
hasn't been simply built into our standard ppp package?

> I am intending to make ppp generate a separate package (ppp-lite ?) so that I
> can make the main package depend on libpam and libdes (needed for ms_chap)
> without needing to put all that on the boot disks.

How much bigger does it get if you static link libpam and libdes? There
are a growing number of ISPs and corporate nets that use NT RAS for their
remote entry needs. I just got a request for information on RAS from one
of my clients, as well as a request for help from one of the purchasers of
my book. (both of these after I asked about this on the list...time just
doesn't work like it's supposed to)

> In the mean time, you'll need to grab the source and recompile it.
>
> BTW if ppp-lite gets installed on the boot disks, what do I need to do to make
> ppp get installed over the top of it --- is it just
>
>   Replaces: ppp-lite

If fundamental components of the package are different, you will need
a conflicts: field as well. This will let dpkg remove the lite package and
replace it, in toto, with the bulkier ppp package

> in the ppp package ?
>
> Cheers, Phil.
>
> P.S.  I've never tried the NT RAS thing, so I'd like to hear how you get on.

One thing that is not mentioned in the docs is what to set in the options
file to enable chap. It does talk about the two options required for
ms-chap, but I assume that you also need chap enabled?

Thanks for all the help,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-