[From debian-doc] C-A-D entry in inittab

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.971210174426.949F-100000@noah.dfis.ull.es>,
Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es> wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Thalia L. Hooker wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it is a good thing to tell users that they can also use
>> ctrl-alt-del to also shutdown their system? Suppose the user doesn't
>> remember whether they set up their system for C+A+D. It seems that they
>> would do more harm to their system by trying C+A+D if the event they had
>> not set this option. Alternatively, is there a way that users could tell
>> whether they have set this option? If so, then you could perhaps mention it
>> in this section.
>
>It's defined in /etc/inittab .
>In a "default" Debian installation it looks like this:
>
>[...]
># What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
>ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -h now
>[...]

According to /usr/doc/sysvinit/examples/inittab on my system, it's
actually:

  ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -r now
                                          ^

But I've changed the -r to -h as well...  Should this perhaps be the
default, together with an

  echo 'Press CTRL-ALT-DEL again to reboot.'

at the end of the shutdown script?  Doing this means you can shut down
easily, without having to remember to turn it off quickly after the
reboot starts, but before the machine comes back up again.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>