Re: syslogd taking up lots of CPU..

   That EAGAIN disturbs me. We're not even close to being out of disk
   space; what could be causing this?

EAGAIN doesn't mean out of disk space.  The gnu libc manual says this:

 - Macro: int EAGAIN
     Resource temporarily unavailable; the call might work if you try
     again later.  The macro `EWOULDBLOCK' is another name for `EAGAIN';
     they are always the same in the GNU C library.

     This error can happen in a few different situations:

        * An operation that would block was attempted on an object that
          has non-blocking mode selected.  Trying the same operation
          again will block until some external condition makes it
          possible to read, write, or connect (whatever the operation).
          You can use `select' to find out when the operation will be
          possible; *note Waiting for I/O::..

          *Portability Note:* In older Unix many systems, this condition
          was indicated by `EWOULDBLOCK', which was a distinct error
          code different from `EAGAIN'.  To make your program portable,
          you should check for both codes and treat them the same.

        * A temporary resource shortage made an operation impossible.
          `fork' can return this error.  It indicates that the shortage
          is expected to pass, so your program can try the call again
          later and it may succeed.  It is probably a good idea to
          delay for a few seconds before trying it again, to allow time
          for other processes to release scarce resources.  Such
          shortages are usually fairly serious and affect the whole
          system, so usually an interactive program should report the
          error to the user and return to its command loop.

What this actually meant in your case, I don't know.