Re: libc5 backports problem

hamish@debian.org (Hamish Moffatt) writes:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 1997 at 08:44:06AM -0500, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > > One problem with doing backports of libc5 packages is that
> > > dpkg-dev in bo doesn't seem to support pristine sources;
> > > it complained that the original wasn't in the .orig subdirectory.
> > >
> > > Although dpkg-dev from hamm works fine on bo since it is not libc
> > > dependent, it's still not possible to backport on a completely-bo
> > > given this factor, unless I am missing something ..
> >
> > As far as I understand, you just told that you can use dpkg-dev from hamm
> > to produce binary package on bo system. So, what is the problem now?
> > I guess even earlier dpkg (from bo) can install them OK, right?
>
> The only prolbem is that you cannot produce these packages
> on a purely bo system as some have promised/hoped. For example,
> Tim Sailer is offering access to a bo system for backporting,
> but unless it has been upgraded to dpkg from hamm then pristine
> sources aren't supported.

I don't remember who it was, but somebody has announced that he
succeeded compiling the hamm version of the latest dpkg/dpkg-dev for
libc5 and made it available in "project/experimental". I have this
packages installed along with "debhelper" and have (almost) no
problems making libc5 versions of hamm sources.

                                  Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig