Duplicate messages on this list

Here I go again...

I raised the question some time ago regarding the annoying duplicate
messages I'm getting from all Debian lists; sometimes I'll get the
same message up to five times. Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> suggested
several solutions, none of which where satisfying to me, because they
wouldn't help me BEFORE I download the messages via modem. I sent a
note to Greg asking him to elaborate on his points, and never got an
answer. I'm posting that note here.

On Nov 23, 1997, at 21:08, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:
 > Hi Greg,
 >
 > On Nov 23, 1997, at 11:18, Greg Stark wrote:
 >  > Tyson Dowd <trd@cs.mu.oz.au> writes:
 >  > > The Debian lists don't have Reply-To: set to the list.
 >  >
 >  > This is the correct configuration
 >
 > Would you care to explain to me why this is the correct configuration?
 > Besides debian-devel, I'm subscribed to other mailing lists, and I do
 > get messages from these lists with a Reply-To header set to the list's
 > address. What's wrong with this? Please note I'm not being sarcastic
 > or anything; I really want to learn about this subject. You seem
 > pretty adamant about your position, so I figured I would contact you
 > on private e-mail; it looks like you have discussed this matter
 > before...
 >
 >  > > Because of this problem, I have started using "mutt" as my
 >  > > mailreader, because it allows you to get around this problem with
 >  > > a "list-reply".  But unless the Reply-To: is changed, or everyone
 >  > > starts using different mailers, this will be a problem.
 >  >
 >  > This isn't "getting around the problem" this is the correct
 >  > solution. Setting the Reply-To in a mailing list is wrong. You can
 >  > reduce the duplicates you get by adding a "Mail-Copies-To: never"
 >  > header.
 >
 > Again, why would this be the correct solution?
 >
 > And, if this IS the correct solution, what do you mean by adding a
 > Should the list software do this?
 >
 >  > greg

So, I ask (as both a question and a request) whether it would be
reasonable to add a Reply-To to the messages sent by the Debian
lists. I'm subscribed to other mailing lists (like ACE's) and they do
this to good effect.

If this has been covered before, my apologies, but if this is the case
then please point me to the appropriate documentation, and I'll shut
up (for a while, at least).

--
Gonzalo Diethelm # Windows 95: n. 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for
gonzo@ing.puc.cl # a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally