Re: be careful with Replaces, please

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Greg Stark writes:
>  >
>  > We've got be be a little more careful with the Replaces header. I just
>  > installed the libc6 version of comerr, and dpkg helpfully deinstalled
>  > e2fsprogs.
>
> That's perfectly normal if you previously had e2fsprogs <= 1.10-6,
> which does contain libcom_err !
>
> You should probably install e2fsprogsg to replace e2fsprogs.

I'd say this is an understatement, and you should definitely install
e2fsprogsg.  Preferably before rebooting the system.  I found this out
the hard way; compiled a new kernel, tried to reboot, couldn't because
fsck was missing.  No real problem; e2fslibsg was present, so I just had
to get /sbin/fsck on diskette from another system.  (Should have gotten
fsck.ext2 too, in retrospect, but its absence was less serious.)

- David, just visiting because dejanews said the "clock skew" problem
  was mentioned here.