(Really) a lot of questions about packaging

Hello,

 currently I'm working on my first debian package, called sidplay.
 I already announced it on this mailing list, about two weeks ago.

 After reading the docs, I set up the control and information files and
 debian/rules. But I have still some question, especially with regard to
 dpkg-shlibdeps.

 The source package (sidplay-x.yy...) creates 3 binary packages: libsidplay1
 (which contains the shared libraries), libsidplay1-dev (contains a statical
 lib and several header files), sidplay (with binary executables). Of course,
 each package has the required doc files.

 My first question is: should I use dpkg-buildpackage or execute dpkg-sources,
 rules clean, rules binary a.s.o. with dpkg --build inside the rules file?

 Then: In debian/rules I have a line like
   'dpkg-shlibdeps debian/tmp/usr/bin/sidplay'
 Obviously, sidplay uses the shared library from libsidplay1, which isn't
 installed yet and therefore cannot be found in this moment. When I use
 LD_PRELOAD the output of ldd is not recognised ("unknown output from ...").
 What is the "official" way to solve this? Should I copy the library to the
 place where it is expected to be (and should I do this from debian/rules?)
 or should I enter the dependency by "hand" (into debian/control or
 debian/shlibs)?

 How do I setup debian/shlibs for the library libsidplay1 itself? Similar to
 the executable sidplay it depends on libc and libg++. Again, what's the
 official way?
 Maybe there are dependencies for libsidplay1-dev as well (libg++-dev???).
 What about these?

 Does Debian use source dependencies? At least gcc, libc-dev, libg++-dev need
 to be installed in order to compile the package. Should there be a Depends
 line for the source package?

 What does the following warning mean: "no utmp entry available. Using
 $Logname (...) instead in ..." (well, I'm no perl expert - uuh, know near to nothing about
 programming in perl). I got this during the packaging process.

 The next two questions are not directly related to this package, but maybe
 important for future enhancements:

  What is $(shlibs:Recommends) used for? Yes, I know what it means, but how do
  I replace it by certain values? Do I have to fill in debian/shlibs by myself?
  Or would I need to call dpkg-shlibdeps with certain command-line parameters?
  But then I could enter it directly into the file...

  Where would programs go that depend on packages from non-free (I'm talking
  about qt)? There's is an add-on for sidplay which uses qt, and I like to
  package that as well. (That is, if it will work).

 Thank you for your help, and sorry for this bunch of questions,

  Ulf