guavac, kaffe, kore, a free java development environment?

I am not yet a guavac user, but I plan to do some Java development
for Linux (GPL'd of course), so I will end up being one sooner or later.

And that raises a concern ... I don't want my work to depend on non-free
components.  I see that while guavac is DFSG compliant, kaffe is not.  On
examining kaffe closer, it is because it depends on the non-free jdk.  I'm
wondering what could be done to make it depend on Kore instead?  It seems
Kore isn't even packaged yet.  Is it still too rough to be building on top
of?

Ben.